IT -- HPT -- PHD

It appears that all three fields pay better than a small-town newspaper, and that's the whole sandwich as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still aiming toward academia, but it's good to know what's out there. It's hard to tell what you would really enjoy doing until you really have to do it on a daily basis. Mostly, I want to be a dad and a husband and I feel like there is flexibility in the academic schedule that allows for that. That's not to say it isn't a time-consuming profession, it is. But it appears relatively autonomous and allows intellectual exploration. That's appealing.

I came back to graduate school because I wanted to teach and I've had some opportunities to teach at the university level. I'm really enjoying exploring the historical conceptions of learning and how the instructive professions have tackled the myriad problems associated with trying to help learners grow.

Personal growth is really an essential element of the whole reason we are trying to learn. As I have read so much about learning theories and instructional practices, I have often had cause to pause and reflect on the whole purpose of instruction. What are our aims? The government wants to increase our educational standing, but to what end? Increased gross domestic product? Bragging rights? More technologies to usurp for military prowess? Happiness?

Isn't it incumbent upon us to define our goals for instruction on a small scale? If so, how much more on a large national scale. Why do we put children through school? If we know the reason, are we succeeding? And so, I continue to ruminate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Literature review

Open letter to Mom and Dad

The funnel of the introduction