Thoughts from Conference

Russell Osguthorpe's statement -- that learning and teaching are the way we receive our salvation -- pruned my mind's rosebush a little. I was crowded with a lot of complex ideas about learning and teaching and theory and design, but Dr. Osguthorpe cleared out a lot of that to get at the meat of what I'm here at BYU to do -- enhance my ability to help others to progress toward salvation. If that is not my ultimate goal, then these stems and thorns will crowd and poke until I lose sight of the flowers.

Elder Bednar helped add some perspective as well. His points were directed toward encouraging greater attention to the home. This is certainly a key element of happiness in this life and in the life to come. His image of the painting of the wheat field was particularly useful to me. He suggested that each event we experience is a brush stroke in the canvas of our lives. I enjoy painting and I understand the fundamental nature of each brush stroke adding to an overall image, though it might not make sense individually. And again, all these events should be painting the same goal: the beautiful image of salvation.

Elder Bednar's points are also valuable in the arena of teaching and instruction. Showing love is, I think, a necessary element of building a credible teacher-student relationship. True concern for the student helps an instructor find the core impediments to learning and unlock them. Consistency will also go a long way toward an eventual goal of advancing the student in knowledge and understanding.

Elder Uchtdorf echoed the call for love. This statement could buoy anyone: "Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, God loves us perfectly." Remembering that can help me find the power to love even a difficult student and to remember the debt I owe my Savior. Remembering that helps motivate me to help others in whatever little way I can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Literature review

Open letter to Mom and Dad

The funnel of the introduction